Jeter Hall was among the first buildings constructed on the Westhampton campus. When built, it was referred to as Dormitory No. 1. Thomas Memorial Hall was called Dormitory No. 2. Both of these dormitories served as residence halls for the men of Richmond College.
In 1915, Dormitory No. 1 was named for Jeremiah Bell Jeter, who served as the first president of the Board of Trustees of Richmond College from 1868 to 1880. Jeter was a Baptist minister who was president of the Baptist General Association of Virginia from 1854 to 1857, was editor of The Religious Herald from 1865 until 1880, and was a charter member of the Board of Managers of the Virginia Baptist Seminary (which later became Richmond College).
Interesting Fact: While the majority of the original building architecture is Collegiate Gothic style, the wood beam design found on both Thomas and Jeter is actually representative of the English Tudor style.
VBHS building file
Reports from the Committee on New Buildings, 1914 (VBHS)