Sarah Brunet Hall
Sarah Brunet Hall, originally called the Refectory, was built as the men's dining hall and was completed in 1914. In continued to serve as the dining hall until E. Bruce Heilman Dining Center was opened in the 1982. The Refectory was renamed Sarah Brunet Hall after Sarah W. Brunet of Norfolk, who had endowed a scholarship at Richmond College and left real estate holdings to the college in her will.
The building is constructed with Flemish bond brickwork and leaded glass windows. While carved stone faces can be seen on other buildings around campus, the one sitting above the front entrance on Sarah Brunet is widely believed to be the likeness of Ralph Adams Cram, architect of the original campus buildings.
Interesting Fact: While Sarah Brunet Hall was designed in the Collegiate Gothic style like many other buildings on campus, the front entrance archway is actually in the Jacobian style.
Reports from the Committee on New Buildings, 1914 (VBHS)
VBHS building file